Sunday, October 2, 2011

Fall, Again?

So it's fall again. Things are pretty much the same as always. I miss the chill in the air, the pumpkins, anticipation of family and holidays. Life changes so quickly. I miss crisp brightly colored leaves crunching underfoot. The full moon at harvest. The wind blowing through my hair while feeding my horse another apple.  Knowing that a cup of caramel apple cider was waiting inside for the making. Decorating the house with Christmas lights on halloween night. Baking pies for the family. Preserving the last of the food for the winter to come. I miss it. Dancing to Big Band music while wearing classic aprons and twirling my baby sisters around the kitchen (after I let them lick out the bowl, of course). Helping my almost-teenager brother train his dog. Watching steam rise from the milkpail as I milked my goat and she nuzzled my shoulder. Curling up with a good book, a Doris day movie, and a furry dog. Funny how animals are always ready to listen and comfort - always there. Except when your dog wants a kiss after eating horse manure!

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I should NOT have read this... You totally made me tear up. I miss you sooo much and I miss those times too! Although now that I've been married for 3 years now (today!!!) Eric and I have been getting our own yearly traditions started slowly and it's a lot of fun. While not the same as growing up, those times you described will always be special but a part of growing up is blazing your own way... Some day you will have your own yearly/seasonly traditions again! College kind of takes that out of your life for a while. Take heart it will come back to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I should say you are a fabulous writer. For some reason I'm thinking Jane Austen right now. Anyway hope you have a good rest of your week! Stay in touch!!!

    ReplyDelete