Monday, October 31, 2011

The Ocean



09:00
Alabama

Silken waves lapped against the shore.  Sea birds danced in the crisp wind.  I didn’t want to leave.  The ocean seemed to vanish all other thoughts and worries as time stood still.  The sun began to set, touching every wave, giving way to shadows and the realization that all good things come to an end. I wriggled my toes, loving the feel of the cool sand beneath my feet. 

Beachcombers strolled along the edge of the water.  Some were couples and linked hands as they walked towards the sunset.  Others preferred to journey alone.  Children left their sandcastles for the safety of their parents’ arms. 

Sand pipers jigged across the sand.  As the tide rolled in, the last of the jelly fish succumbed to the watery depths.  Grandma and I headed back to the truck.  We were both reluctant to leave that glimpse of heaven.  The sand shifted with each step.  Our shadows disappeared with the sun; the moon decided to venture out of her cloudy hiding place. 

My heart waved goodbye.

Everything was okay.

1 comment: